Djordje Sredanovic has obtained a BA and an MA in Communication from the University of Bologna and a PhD in Social Sciences from the University of Padua, with a research on the conceptions of citizenship and biographies of rights of migrants and local factory workers in Ferrara, Italy. He has taught at the University of Bologna between 2013 and 2014 and again in 2017. From 2015 to 2017, has been a post-doc at the Group for Research on Ethnic Relations, Migration & Equality (GERME) laboratory and the Migrations Asylum Multiculturalism (MAM) research group of the Université Libre de Bruxelles, with a research on the implementation of citizenship and integration policies in Belgium and the UK, part of a larger research project of the MAM research group on restrictive migration and integration policies in Europe, funded by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. From 2017 to 2019 he has been a Newton International Fellow of the British Academy at the Department of Sociology at the University of Manchester, with a research on the impact of Brexit on values and uses on citizenship.
Since 2019 he is again a post-doc at the GERME and the Université Libre de Bruxelles and is continuing a research on the impact of Brexit on the experiences and orientations toward naturalisation of different groups – EU27 citizens in the UK, Britons in Belgium, Indians in Belgium and the UK, and Britons in the UK who have applied or explored applying for another citizenship. The research is funded by the F.R.S.-FNRS through a chargé de recherche position.
He is a specialist in the study of citizenship, with research on both the policies and the experiences of citizenship, and has further conducted research on migrations (mobility, asylum, integration policies, media representations), media, the European Union, and work.
- 2012 – Doctorate, “Doctoral School in Social Sciences: Interactions, Communication, Cultural Constructions”, University of Padua, with a final dissertation on “Becoming Citizens, Remaining Citizens: Conceptions of Citizenship and Biographies of Rights of Migrants and Local Factory Workers in Ferrara”
- 2008 – Laurea specialistica [MA] in “Public, Social and Political Communication Sciences”, University of Bologna, with a final dissertation in Political Communication on “The Elections of the Council of Foreigners and Stateless of the Province of Bologna: A Nascent Political System?”
- 2006 – Laurea triennale [BA] in “Communication Sciences”, University of Bologna
- 2019-present – Chargé de recherche FNRS – Université Libre de Bruxelles, Group for Research on Ethnic Relations, Migration & Equality.
- 2017-2019 – Newton International Fellow – University of Manchester, Department of Sociology
- 2017 – adjunct professor – University of Bologna, Laurea magistrale [M.A.] in “Mass media and politics”, Media, conflicts and international politics
- 2017 – postdoctoral fellow – FNRS – Université Libre de Bruxelles, Group for Research on Ethnic Relations, Migration & Equality.
- 2015-2017 – postdoctoral fellow – Université Libre de Bruxelles, Migration Asylum Multiculturalism research group and Group for Research on Ethnic Relations, Migration & Equality.
- 2013-2014 – teaching assistant – University of Bologna, Laurea magistrale [M.A.] in “Public and Social Communication Sciences”, Laboratory of social communication.
- 2013 – teaching assistant – University of Bologna, Laurea magistrale [M.A.] in “Innovation and organization of culture and the arts”, Sociology of territory and culture.
- 2013 – teaching assistant – University of Bologna, Laurea magistrale [M.A.] in “Public and Social Communication Sciences”, Laboratory of communication, services marketing and welfare for the prevention and the contrast of drug addiction.
- Citizenship (everyday citizenship, citizenship legislation, implementation of citizenship policies)
- Migration (access to status and rights, mobility, asylum)
- Media (representations of migrants in the media)
- the European Union (representations of the UE in the media, EU institutions, citizenship and migration)
- Nation-states (critical approaches to the nation-state)
- Work (rights, industrial sociology)
- 2021 - Implementing Citizenship, Nationality and Integration Policies: The UK and Belgium in Comparative Perspective, Bristol University Press, Bristol
Edited special issues and volumes:
- 2018 – volume – Governing Diversity: Migrant Integration and Multiculturalism in North America and Europe, Éditions de l’Université de Bruxelles, Bruxelles – edited with Rea, Andrea, Bribosia, Emmanuelle and Rorive, Isabelle.
- 2018 – special issue – Trends towards particularism in European citizenship policies – Journal of Contemporary European Studies – edited with Stadlmair, Jeremias.
Articles in peer reviewed journals:
- forthcoming - Brexit and the stratified uses of national and European Union citizenship, in Current Sociology - with Della Puppa, Francesco
- forthcoming - The tactics and strategies of naturalisation: UK and EU27 citizens in the context of Brexit, in Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies
- 2021 - Brexit as a Trigger and an Obstacle to Onwards and Return Migration, in International Migration, 59(6): 93-108.
- 2020 – Aspettative, immaginari e progettualità di mobilità e stanzialità nel quadro della Brexit: cittadini dalla nascita e «naturalizzati» [Expectations, Imaginaries and Projects of Mobility and Immobility in the Framework of Brexit: citizens by birth and "naturalised"], in Polis, 35(1): 85-108.– with Della Puppa, Francesco.
- 2020 – Barriers to the Equal Treatment of (aspirant) Citizens: The Case of the Application of Nationality Law in Belgium, in International Migration, 58(2): 15-29.
- 2018 – Introduction: trends towards particularism in European citizenship policies, in Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 26(1): 1-11 – with Stadlmair, Jeremias.
- 2018 – (Un) preferential treatment:‘Special’and particularistic citizenship norms in the EU28, 1992–2015, in Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 26(1): 12-27.
- 2017 – Was citizenship born with the Enlightenment? Developments of citizenship between Britain and France and “everyday citizenship” implications, in Miranda, 15.
- 2017 – La nationalité/citoyenneté italienne : « familiste » mais non « culturelle » ? [Italian nationality/citizenship: «familist» but not «cultural»?], in Pôle Sud, 47: 133-146.
- 2017 – Lasciare l’Italia? Le seconde migrazioni tra cittadinanza e crisi economica [To leave Italy? Second migrations between citizenship and the economic crisis], in Studi Emigrazione, 205: 111-128. – with Della Puppa, Francesco
- 2017 – Transnationalising cultural pluralism? The case of migrants from Ukraine and Lebanon in Italy, in Critical Discourse Studies, 14(3): 292-308.
- 2017 – Citizen to Stay or Citizen to Go? Naturalization, Security, and Mobility of Migrants in Italy, in Journal of Immigrant & Refugee Studies, 15(4): 366-383 – with Della Puppa, Francesco
- 2016 – Political Parties and Citizenship Legislation Change in EU28 Countries, 1992—2013, in International Political Science Review, 37(4): 438-452.
- 2016 – The 2012 killings of Chinese citizens in Rome and the ambivalence of Italian journalism, in Patterns of Prejudice, 50(1): 61-81.
- 2016 – Models of Representation, Mobilization and Turnout: the Elections of the Foreign Citizens’ Council of the Province of Bologna, in International Migration, 54(5): 15-28.
- 2015 – La natura multidimensionale e contestuale dei diritti: operai a Ferrara [The Multidimensional and Contextual Nature of Rights: Factory Workers in Ferrara], in Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa, 8(3): 513-534.
- 2015 – ‘Can the Youth of Migrant Background Speak?’ The Jus Soli Debate in Italian Print and Television Journalism, in Journal of Intercultural Studies, 36(6): 693-709. – with Farina, Filomena Gaia.
- 2015 – The “Emergency North Africa” in the province of Bologna: visions and tensions of hospitality in operators’ discourses, in Hospitality & Society, 5(2-3): 203-220. – with Lelleri, Raffaele.
- 2014 – Culture or Taxes? The Conceptions of Citizenship of Migrants and Local Factory Workers in Italy, in Citizenship Studies, 18(6-7): 676-689.
- 2014 – Quel est la valeur de la nationalité/citoyenneté en Italie? Résultats d’une recherche auprès des migrants et des ouvriers italiens à Ferrare [What is the Value of Nationality/Citizenship in Italy? Results of a Research with Migrants and Italian Factory Workers in Ferrara], in Migrations Société, 153-154: 47-61.
- 2014 – Les industries culturelles et la permanence du national dans l’ère d’Internet [Cultural Industries and the Permanence of the National in the Internet Era], in Les Enjeux de l’information et de la communication, 15(2A): 67-79.
- 2019 – chapter – Huligani dangeroux : imaginaires “new punk wave” entre l’Europe de l’Est et l’Europe de l’Ouest [Huligani dangeroux: “new punk wave” imaginaries between Eastern and Western Europe], in Edwards, Paul, Grossi, Élodie and Schor, Paul (eds.) Disorder: histoire sociale des mouvements punk/post punk. Seteun: Guichen.
- 2019 – chapter – Defining borders on land and sea. Italy, the European Union, and Mediterranean Refugees 2011-2015, in Linhard, Tabea, Parsons, Tim and Walke, Anika (eds.) Mapping Migration, Identity, and Space, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke: 233-256.
- 2018 – chapter – Introduction: Governing Diversity, in Rea, Andrea, Bribosia, Emmanuelle, Rorive, Isabelle, and Sredanovic, Djordje (eds.) Governing Diversity: Migrant Integration and Multiculturalism in North America and Europe, Éditions de l’Université de Bruxelles, Bruxelles: 7-26.
- 2018 – chapter – Mérite et conformité culturelle aux marges de la loi : Le cas de la nationalité en Belgique [Merit and cultural conformity at the margins of the law: The case of nationality in Belgium], in Garnier, Adèle, Pignolo, Loïc, and Saint-Laurent, Geneviève (eds.) Gérer les migrations face aux défis identitaires et sécuritaires, Genève, Université de Genève: 97-108.
- 2017 – chapter – Supranationales ou internationales ? Les représentations des institutions politiques de l’Union européenne [Supranational or international? The representations of the political institutions of the European Union], in Radut-Gaghi, Luciana, Oprea, Denisa-Adriana and Boursier, Axel (eds.) L’Europe dans les médias en ligne, L’Harmattan, Paris: 59-66.
- 2017 – review – Review of Migration Borders Freedom, Harald Bauder, in Population, Space and Place, 23(3): e2070.
- 2016 – review – Recensione di Cristina Nizzoli, C’est du propre !, in Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa, 9(3): 553-554.
- 2015 – review – Review of Nationality, Citizenship and Ethno-Cultural Belonging, written by Costica Dumbrava, in European Journal of Migration and Law, 17(4): 395-398.
- 2014 – chapter – Fotografia. La rappresentazione di migranti e minoranze nei quotidiani 2013 : numeri, temi, tendenze [Photograph. The representation of migrants and minorities in 2013 newspapers: numbers, themes, tendencies], in Notizie alla deriva. Secondo rapporto annuale Associazione Carta di Roma, Edizioni Ponte Sisto, Roma: 19-45 – with Zenuni, Ardiana.
- 2013 – chapter – Fotografia: media e immigrazione nel 2012 [Photograph: Media and Immigration in 2012], in Notizie fuori dal ghetto. Primo rapporto annuale Associazione Carta di Roma, Edizioni Ponte Sisto, Roma: 17-50.
- 2013 – chapter – Lo scenario internazionale, nazionale e regionale dell’Emergenza Nord Africa [The International, National and Regional Context of the Emergency North Africa], in Lelleri, Raffaele (ed.) Emergenza Nord Africa in Provincia di Bologna. Esperienze, percorsi, lezioni apprese, Provincia di Bologna, Bologna: 8-14.
- 2013 – report – “Emergenza Nord Africa”. Accoglienza di adulti e famiglie in provincia di Bologna [“Emergency North Africa”. Hospitality of Adults and Families in the Province of Bologna], with Lelleri, Raffaele, Provincia di Bologna, Bologna.
- 2010 – volume – Europa e media locali [Europe and Local Media], Centro Europe Direct, Bologna.
- 2010 – chapter – Le identità religiose e il lavoro migrante [Religious Identities and Migrant Work], in Spini, Andrea (ed.) Il colore della pelle di Dio. Forme del razzismo contemporaneo, Mauro Pagliai Editore, Firenze: 143-148.